Monday, June 01, 2009

Five Flavor Beef Results

So here is a rundown of the 5FB. Like I said, I don't think the first 5FB made was a brisket. I set out to prove the brisket as an inferior cut to use for 5FB. I picked a 7-Bone Chuck Roast. This is a tougher cut of beef and takes a longer cooking time. It also responds well to braising, which is basically what we are doing with 5FB. I found then on sale at the store for $1.00/lb. So the pictured roast below cost me $5.



First thing was to find a big enough skillet to brown the roast in. A little olive oil and a few minutes per side and it was sufficiently browned.

I went looking in the store for red and white cooking wine. They were out of the white, so I jumped on the iPhone to look for a type of wine to replace the white with. I found a suggestion to not cook with any wine you wouldn't drink. Seemed logical. So I bought these, and yes they tasted fine. $6 for the Sauvignon Blanc on the left, $8 for the Pinot Noir on the right.


The recipe is for 16 oz of each wine (2 cups) so that left plenty of excess.

Here are the other ingredients, a 15oz bottle of Worchestshirshiershire sauce (yes, pour it all in), 2/3 cup of brown sugar, and appx 1/2 to 3/4 tbsp of cinnamon. In hindsight, those ratios came out slightly bitter. I think I'd up the brown sugar to 3/4 cup.


Cooking time. This is the roast after about 7 hours in the crock pot. I started it on high heat for 2 hours and then 5 hours on low heat. This worked great. I had to get a slotted spoon to fish out all the meat and leftover bones/gristle, everything fell apart.

Here is the end result. I discarded the gristle and bones and retained the liquid. The meat was extremely tender and fell apart when pressed. It was not stringy like brisket can get and the flavor permeated the entire roast. I asked the wife what she thought of using the roast vs. brisket. She said that she never wanted to use a brisket again.

Case closed.

7 comments:

cyclefreaks said...

OMG, what a geek.

Candice said...

That's exactly what I thought when I came home and caught him taking pictures of the meat while cooking in the crock pot.

Mark said...

Why is this geeky? If this was on Food Network you'd both be riveted to the TV...

Okjerm said...

You say geeky, I say informative. Go to Barnes and Noble and pick up any five cookbooks, you'll be lucky if one of them has pictures like this.

cyclefreaks said...

oh i think you're wrong bloyd.

Mark said...

(ignoring Doubting Steph)

Btw, this stuff makes awesome sandwiches. Treat it like a french dip and use the remaining liguid as Au Jus.

greenGuru said...

I'm with Mark and Jerm on this--this is great stuff!

Did you save any for me?