Friday, June 24, 2005

Big Brother for you wireless Geeks

I was surfing around this morning and stumbled upon a very cool gadget site. As I was scrolling thru the geek-porn, I noticed this. At first glance I thought "wow, that's cool. Lo-Jack for your laptop". Then something else clicked as I was talking to Cory about it. This is an EXTREMELY easy way to track people/hackers on laptops. I mean, not the actually "Lo-Jack" system, but Wi-Fi device tracking in general. All Wi-Fi devices need to have a unique MAC address for that component to establish a two-way connection. Combine that with your ID, and Wi-Fi tower triangulation and you have a rather low-key tracking method for any wireless device.

Mind you, I'm not stating anything that I'm sure isn't already in the public domain here. It was just an interesting thought of where things are heading...

No comments: