Wednesday, September 03, 2003

Last Friday's events

So last Friday a quiz was posted on a website that drew some fire. Some people took direct offense to the nature of the quiz whereas some people just blew it off as yet another meaningless Internet quiz. I think that the real problem here is that there was more damage (among friends) done from the ensuing discussion of said quiz than done by the quiz itself. I can admit it, I took the damned quiz (pardon the pun) not once but twice. I was told that I was an Atheist and a whatever. Neither of these results is true nor did I ever expect to get a true answer from a quiz entitled "Which Enemy of the Christian Faith Are You?" since I don't consider myself an enemy of any faith. I took the quiz as a curiosity as I’m sure everyone who took the quiz in our blog-community did as well. Nobody in this group (and I say that as a fact) is somebody who I would ever confuse with a racist, anti-Semite, or any other of numerous social cancers of similar nature. But none-the-less, when the smoked cleared from the comments and posts people walked away hurt, insulted, frustrated and generally pissed off. Even people who did not participate in the verbal artillery walked (clicked) away angry. I went back and re-read it all and I can see the underlying points of both sides of the argument. I don’t know what can be said by anyone to truly smooth over last Fridays tirade. I really don’t think anything can be said. People have genuinely taken some of the comments as deep personal attacks of their social and moral fiber. Those are not easy things to overcome, but silence is not a solution…

No comments: