Thursday, April 05, 2007

Why April 6th is important to me

I will always remember this date just like I do my wedding anniversary or my date of birth. April 6, 2005 I quit smoking after 12+ years. It was not something I was planning to do at the time, but it happened anyway. Some people try to tell you after the first few months it gets easier and then before you know it you have forgotten all about it. BULLSHIT. It's something you deal with everyday for the rest of your life. I have managed this year to go to a bar full of smoke again for the first time. You have no idea what a step that was for me and how hard it was. I can say it makes things a lot easier not living with a smoker. I have a friend or two that still do, but I am now to the point I can stand outside with them while they smoke and be ok for the most part. I only think about it a little. I guess it's like each year a recovering alcoholic has, it does get easier but never goes away. That will always be the one thing I would go back and change if I could. Oh well, life goes on right?

Today was my last day at the old job. Half the people there didn't even speak to me, including my team lead. I guess it was a nice reminder of why I needed to leave. I did make two, actually three, good friends from working there so it was worth the hell. I will always be grateful for them.

Tomorrow I am off to Houston to work a rescue event on Saturday. Then back home on Sunday and I start the new job on Monday. I have to call the hiring manager tomorrow and find out what time to be there, etc.

Hope you all have a good weekend. If you play WOW say hi to the hubby for me while I'm gone. ; )

3 comments:

Mark said...

Aw snap. Am I that predictable?

We're all very proud of you for how you kicked smoking. :)

Anonymous said...

Yes we are very proud!

cyclefreaks said...

Ditto to the kudos